New member - need advice please

arnieboy

Hi

I've got several Seiko watches, although one is Pulsar branded with a 7T62 mechanism. When I try to release the stem by pressing "push" with the stem out one click, it just won't release. It used to work just fine so is there anything else I can try? I really like the watch but the second hand fell off some time after I replaced it (long story) so I need to get the movement out. I could break the stem and just get a cheap replacement unit off ebay but have no experience if they work well.

Secondly, I inherited a Seiko 7T42 from my late father but it's dead and a new battery made no difference. A new movement seems to be £200 so are there any alternatives?

Thanks

SeikoForum

Administrator
Staff member
Your options are either to source a donor movement as you mentioned, or invest some money and send it to a competent watchmaker. Are you familiar with opening casebacks and removing movements?

arnieboy

Hi

Yes, I've taken out the mechanisms before and replaced the stem. I took advantage of the Black Friday/ebay deal and got a new 7T62 movement. For the moment I am sticking with the existing one as it works perfectly and I don't really miss the second hand. I have bought a spare set of hands anyway so may try to just squeeze through the small gap available with a watchmakers screwdriver. So far, no luck in finding anyone to fix the 7T42 - I recall someone did a Youtube video on fixing it but it's way beyond my abilities. Can you recommend any watchmaker? Thanks

SeikoForum

Administrator
Staff member
There are plenty of competent watchmakers. I would not attempt doing this yourself unless you want to risk permanent damage to your watch. Check out Duncan in the UK or Jack at IWW. Both of them are listed on this website.