Alpinist

planteria

Reaction score
any Alpinist fans here? they have a keen following amongst some Seiko enthusiasts, but I think most folk here are more interested in Seiko diving watches.
i have the SARB017 [as per post below]

Last edited:

planteria

Reaction score
D1220C02-EE80-4690-9219-C0F7162D1C4B.jpeg

planteria

Reaction score
the crown at three is date and time, as usual.
the crown at four turns the internal bezel. it works as a compass..
the Alpinist was created for yamaotoko, ‘the mountain men’. it’s a very cool watch imo, but i don’t necessarily feel the need to add another model. having looked closely at others, this is the one to have in my view.
above is the original strap. i need to get round to buying an alternative strap and start to wear this watch.

Last edited:

SeikoForum

Diehard Seiko Collector Since 2014
Staff member
Reaction score
Beautiful model. I’ve never had the opportunity to see one in the flesh or try one.

planteria

Reaction score
there's a current range available SF, including a dark green nod to the SARB017. it's not as nice, but should be easy to check out with an AD to give you a feel for what the Alpinists are like.

Masonprice

Reaction score
In your opinion what would be a good first watch to start my collection, im new to the watch game but have taken a big liking and interest into this, any advice would be great.

planteria

Reaction score
is it an Alpinist that you're interested in Masonprice? if so, i would initially go to a Seiko authorised dealer to have a look at the current models available [see post below] to get a general feel for them. and then, if you like them, check out vintage options online and take your pick from current and vintage models available.

the one i have is the SARB017, from 2007. i prefer this design to the current ones, which have a date cyclops. they produced the SARB013, which is a cream dial alternative to the 017. there is also a limited edition blue one, with silver rather than gold markers, the SBP089. they're both cool watches in my view. if i saw either of those in really good condition at what feels like fair money, i'd be tempted to add a second Alpinist.

Last edited:

Daven

Reaction score
I have seen the one on the top right on Ebay. Nice watch and a little out there on price for me since i retired i am more limited. Most of my collecting was done when i was working 70 hrs a week. Taking care of debt and paying off the house was top priority but i still managed a nice collection sadly not a single Seiko. So glad to have one now.
DN

SeikoForum

Staff member
Reaction score
For awhile, I really pined after a vintage "cream" SCVF007 red alpinist model. The styling of the dial font really appealed to me over the modern "X" versions. They also have a green and black version in the red alpinist series. Model numbers are SCVF005 Black SCVF007 Cream and SCVF009 Green.

seiko_red_alpinist_scvf007_1604022037_11081041_progressive.jpeg

Last edited:

Masonprice

Reaction score
For awhile, I really pined after a vintage "cream" SCVF007 red alpinist model. The styling of the dial font really appealed to me over the modern "X" versions. They also have a green a black version in the red alpinist series. Model numbers are SCVF005 Black SCVF007 Cream and SCVF009 Green.

View attachment 339
I’ve got to say the hands on this watch are incredible, i also like the little pearl like balls on the hour markings a great touch. What is the model of this one i would like to have a look at a piece like this. Thanks in advance.

planteria

Reaction score
yes the Alpinist Red hands are more distinctive than those on the SARB Alpinists, though the part-skeleton ‘Cathedral’ hands on the SARB models are still cool

if there was a cream Alpinist SARB or cream Alpinist Red knocking around I’d be interested.

SeikoForum

Staff member
Reaction score
Ive got to say the hands on this watch are incredible, i also like the little pearl like balls on the hour markings a great touch. What is the model of this one i would like to have a look at a piece like this. Thanks in advance.
I provided all of the model numbers in my post. The cream one is SCVF007.

planteria

Reaction score
it was SF. limited to 1959. it’s nice, i put this, along with the SARB017, ahead of the ‘reds’ and ahead of all of the new ‘cyclops’ models. the blue’s limited run matters in terms of value, but i think the green&gold is more distinctive and iconic than the blue&silver.