Are Seiko auto movements the best?

Daven

Reaction score
What i mean is are they the best of the non Swiss
Movements? I mean i have heard of ETA, Ronda and a few more I can’t remember all the names.
DN

Daven

Reaction score
Yes i know i mentioned Swiss movements just for context. I had no idea Seiko used their own movements as i knew zero about Seiko if you can imagine that?
I know China does movements as i have a few watches with them.
Are there Japanese movements not made by Seiko or is Seiko the only game in town?
DN

SeikoForum

Diehard Seiko Collector Since 2014
Staff member
Reaction score
Seiko is the only company along with Rolex that exercises full vertical integration of their watches. This means that they manufacture in-house each part they use in their watches down to the lubricating oils. If one is looking for a robust daily watch and appreciates mechanical watchmaking and in-house manufacturing, I would look no further than Seiko. Seiko's movements blow away ETA by a mile, which is a point that has always steered me away from collecting Tudor.

SeikoForum

Staff member
Reaction score
Tudor are using in-house movements now though, aren’t they?
and Citizen make their own movements in Japan, right?
Yes, Tudor started making their in-house movements within the past 3 years. But the issue is, there are so many more attractive options to purchase when considering modern watches (Omega, Rolex).

I’ve been curious about Citizen and to a lesser extent Orient watches for many years, but there it’s always the case that there are more Seikos that ultimately override these desires. 😉 Personally, I’ve never owned any of the following brands: Tudor, Citizen, Omega.

SeikoForum

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve owned Citizen, all this year, but for various reasons i don’t currently. one was posted to an eBay customer just this week.
I don’t appreciate how the vintage models have a weird bright green lume on them. I much prefer the white/cream color of vintage Seiko lume markers.

planteria

Reaction score
I’ve owned Citizen, all this year, but for various reasons i don’t currently. one was posted to an eBay customer just this week.

C9A94E2F-6C9B-456F-AE3C-CC9B88BB2B1F.jpeg

planteria

Reaction score
it was a nice watch in fairness, and they’re very good value… but I’d bought the FlightMaster from a friend, though i don’t think it’s as good quality i like the domed crystal and the Nighthawk was unlikely to get much wrist time, so i decided to let it go.

Last edited:

planteria

Reaction score
i don’t SF, this one was a few weeks ago with a dealer.. that day i was asked to appear in the Omega UK customer service training video, and was given an Omega card holder as a thank you. which was nice.

SeikoForum

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice, this one’s my personal example.

4DE349E1-02F4-4E84-A20A-D1BB27F42FB3.jpeg

i don’t SF, this one was a few weeks ago with a dealer.. that day i was asked to appear in the Omega UK customer service training video, and was given an Omega card holder as a thank you. which was nice.

Daven

Reaction score
Nice watches. My Brother bin law’s father was an Engineer for NASA during the Gemini and Apollo programs and was given a Omega watch. It didn’t look anything like that. To describe bit is very utilitarian. I’ll see if i can find a file picture as both people have left the planet.

planteria

Reaction score
i don't know much about them SF, other than that they're the only Omega i'm really drawn to, that i like the hesalite domed crystal and that the subdials, and the way they're recessed smoothly, are really cool. interesting that yours is a 'day date', and a K rather than a V.